Thursday 5 January 2012

Mmm Pudding


I’m no food critic, despite the fact I’m forever eating and drinking and then talking about it on my Twitter Page . My go to eateries are Frankie and Benny’s, Nando’s and on special occasions that I brave Lakeside – Wagamama for my usual No. 43. But I love love love watching cookery programmes have a vast cookery book collection and at the end of January I’ll be attending a cupcake cookery course with Emma my sister in law at The Gourmet Cupcake Company – possibly the best Christmas gift ever from Mike.

I’ve been lucky to eat at some wonderful restaurants here in the UK, in Spain and Australia (regular readers can you believe my Oz trip was a year ago this month?!?) but last night I think I ate, my so far, favourite meal ever.

Our Christmas doesn’t end until January 4th – Mike’s Mum Andrea’s Birthday. It was decided that we would take Andrea to The Rainbow Inn in Cooksbridge, East Sussex. I called after finding their website and booked a table for the 6 of us plus our half pint Beth. The distinctly French menu was a nice surprise, I’d never been to the restaurant before but Emma recommended it highly.

When we arrived, after Emma and her little family she was a tad confused as the place she remembered was not the one we were standing in lol! The restaurant had been bought out by celebrity chef Marco Pierre White last September and there had been a subsequent makeover of the premises and menu. The dark yet unbelievably warm, welcoming and cosy dining room was so inviting and yet so chic.

The staff at the Rainbow Inn were helpful, attentive and not overbearing. I get nervous in more upmarket places that I’ll use the wrong cutlery, pronounce the wine list with the accent of Del Boy and the biggest faux pas of them all; drop food down the front of me! But the Maitre D was a funny French gent who made us all relax, laugh and charmed 17 month old Beth so much she was blowing him kisses by the end of the night!

The food was exquisite, Mike’s parents and I had potted shrimp to start, something I’ve never tried before, it was so delicious that I will be seeking it out in Old Leigh this coming Summer, whether it’ll match that of The Rainbow Inn I don’t know! Mike and Andrew had baked St Marcellin cheese with sour dough bread – Mike loved it so much he’ll be making special trips to Waitrose to “invest” lol!

Our mains came to the table like little works of art; I had Spatchcock of poussin à la chipolatas pomme fondant and rosemary roasting juice – just sound wonderful doesn’t it? It’s a small/baby chicken stuffed and roasted with a selection of herbs and garlic with beautiful roast potatos and chipolatas sausages.  The bird was flavoursome, juicy and rich.

Now the finale was my desert; bread and butter pudding. Nothing like the pudding you had as a child lovingly baked by Nan. Sorry but this was a little piece of heaven on a plate. Light, fluffy, delicate and perfect. As much as I loved the first two courses I couldn’t have eaten the bread and butter pudding three times over and still want more. Can’t believe how excited I am over a dessert!! *and Breathe*

Guy’s if you want brownie points take your ladies to the Rainbow Inn a romantic stylish venue that welcomes you even with children (always a worry – some places are so funny about children passing their pretentious threshold) wonderful service amazing food and a brilliant night out!

L x

1 comment:

  1. Christmas not officially over until 12th night... 6th Jan. so you can add 2 more eating days. I'm a Jamie Oliver cheeky chipolata type of guy but I might just take my taste buds to that there eatery

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting. Should you wish to contact me privately e-mail Lynsey_Ellard@hotmail.com